Retro and current gen gaming chat, with Trev and Stu, its the Console Shockcast! In this weeks shockcast,
we focus on a genre that has its roots in the earliest days of video gaming. It went on to become quite a niche and specialist area enjoyed by hardcore players especially in Japan.
Well, we aren’t that hardcore, but we do love shmups, so we talk some of our experiences and favourites in this awesomely rich corner of video gaming.
– The Switch Mario Kart expansion and not liking SNES Mario Kart. – Some thoughts on the awesome Dead Space series.
– Is the new updated PlayStation Plus subscription service worth it?
– The SHMUP golden age of the late 80s to the late 90s.
– SHMUP forefathers like Space Invaders, Asteroids, Galaga, and Xevious.
– Konami SHMUPS like the Gradius and Parodius series.
– Pseudo-3D SHMUPS like Xevious 3D+, Raystorm, and R-Type Delta.
– PC Engine, Saturn or PS1, what is the best SHMUP console?
– SHMUPS on the PS2 and how the genre faded from the mainstream.
Intro/Outro Music – Blue Spheres Special Stage Theme – Sonic 3 (1994) – Sega Mega Drive – Composer(s): Yoshiaki Kashima
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | RSS